Thursday, February 10, 2011

Broccoli

Broccoli is an easy cool weather vegetable to grow in the garden. I planted De Ciccio and Spigariello broccoli seed varieties about 3 weeks ago and I am transplanting them to bigger, 4 inch, containers this week.

You can buy these broccoli seed varieties at http://www.gourmetseeds.com.

DeCiccio is an European heirloom. It grows 2-3 feet tall, light green stalks and has 3-4 inch bluish-green central heads. Since its a pretty big plant, I'm going to plant it in containers 8 inches deep by 36 inches wide.

On Spigariello, the leaves are more prized than the head. Another European variety, Spigariello has thin, narrow leaves on a medium sized plant. The leaves are often eaten like spinach. Spigariello heads are small and  re-sprout when cut. This cultivar is somewhat smaller than DeCiccio so I'll plant it in 8 inch deep by 24 inch wide containers.

Research suggests broccoli produces the highest yields when plants are spaced 7 inches apart.

Broccoli grows best in moist, but well-draining, rich soil. Add up to 1/3 composted manure to potting soil. Mulch to retain moisture and keep the soil cool as spring temperatures rise.




2 comments:

  1. Barbara, I love the blog! I've been gardening for around a year now and still consider myself a 'newbie'. I'd love to know why you're starting broccoli so early in the year. Shouldn't it be started from seed in August? I'm in the Tallahassee zone (8b I believe). Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris-
    I'm glad you like the blog! Fall is a great time for planting broccoli in Tallahassee. I also like to attempt a crop in late winter/early spring. Fall is definitely a more reliable time to plant broccoli. Early spring can be great or terrible depending on the temperature variations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment. Thank You!