Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blueberries

I associate blueberries with hot summer days and the Blueberry festival in Wellborn. If you are interested in growing your own blueberries instead of picking someone elses, now is the time to prepare your soil for spring planting.
Blueberry plants are picky about drainage and soil pH. Amend your soil now to reap a better harvest this summer!
Here are links to articles I've written about planting blueberries. Have Fun!
Container Blueberry Varieties
How to Acidify Soil for Blueberries
Blueberry Plants for Northeast Florida
Diseases in Rabbiteye Blueberry Plants

5 comments:

  1. Have you heard of anyone growing blueberries in an Earthbox? I love blueberries and containers are my only option. I live in Las Vegas, NV. If the Earthbox is an acceptable means when would you suggest getting them started and best source to get blueberry plants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you asked! There are several container blueberry varieties that will grow in Earthboxes for you. I would not put more than one plant to a box, though.
    Here is a link to an article I wrote on container blueberry varieties:
    http://www.ehow.com/list_7576338_blueberries-container-garden.html
    Whether in containers or in the ground, I'd still suggest you put in the soil and adjust the pH now for spring planting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any words to appreciate this post.....I am really impressed ....the person who created this post surely knew the subject well..thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again! I read your article and I noticed there was a good mentioning of the low temps that the plants can withstand but what about high temps? I live in the Las Vegas Desert. What soil would you reccomend for use in an earthbox for blueberries? I know it is important to use certain types of soils for the EB and then also for the BB's so what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christina
    In your region, I would still use plenty of peat and pine bark in my soil for acidity. Also, incorporate about 1/3 compost to help retain moisture. You don't ever want soggy soil or standing water, but blueberry plants do need a steady supply of moisture. Keep those questions coming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment. Thank You!