Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Grow Garlic in Containers

What grows in Florida in December? How about Garlic? Garlic does its best growing in cold temperatures! Last December, I planted Inchelium Red in December and harvested a fantastic crop early the following summer.

I am planting Inchelium Red again this year. It grows well in Florida and I like its mild flavor.

Garlic would grow fine outside in the ground in my North Florida climate, but I'm not interested in planting in the cold so I'm growing my garlic in containers this year.

When planting garlic, begin with good certified seed garlic bulbs. Filaree Farms and Irish Eyes are good reliable sources for healthy seed garlic.

To grow garlic in containers, start with pots 15-24" tall. Add soil enriched with compost.

Break garlic bulbs apart and plant only the largest cloves. Plant cloves flat side down, about 2-3" deep and 4-6" apart.

Keep pots indoors or outside in temperatures above 50 deg. F for about 4 weeks. Containers can then be moved to overwinter outside in colder conditions. Add a 1-2" layer of mulch prior to hard, long lasting freezes.

Water lightly twice weekly.

For more on growing crops in Florida, consider purchasing my book, Container Gardening for Health: The 12 Most Important Fruits & Vegetables for Your Organic Garden

Bright green stalks will emerge in spring, signaling you to top dress your plants with compost or seed meal. In addition to compost, I sprayed my garlic crop with fish emulsion every 2-3 weeks throughout the first half of spring. Once the rapid growing phase is over, bulbing begins and you should discontinue feedings.

When bulbing begins, reduce waterings to once weekly.

It's time to harvest garlic in Florida when about half the leaves have browned. Don't let northern gardeners talk you into waiting longer. Inevitably, my garlic crops have rotted if I have waited longer.

Dig around the bulbs with a spading fork and gently lift the bulbs.

Removing dirt from the bulbs is the most difficult aspect of growing garlic. Don't wash the bulbs as they must be dry to cure properly. I brush off most of the dirt and let the rest fall off as the bulbs are curing. To cure, tie the stalks of 8-10 bulbs and hang these in a well ventilated barn or shed. Last year, I left mine hanging well into fall in a pole barn and they kept perfectly well. You can take yours down after about 4 weeks. Place the bulbs in a net bag and store in a cool location (45-55 deg. F.) Cooler temperatures encourage sprouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment. Thank You!